Checking out the business news headlines along with two great business interviews. Here is what we have on tap for you this afternoon:
- Shorter work week? How about a shorter work day?
- Whatcha going to do with that extra time off? How about a movie?
- IBM is being sued - Age Discrimination;
- We told you, budget cut are coming says the White House;
- China and U.S. Trade - What happened today on Wall Street.
Those stories plus we welcome back Laura Kinnard from DMBizMixer and Drake University with networking and business education events this week. Get your event published with #DMBizEvents on Twitter.
Also today, we're talking about the Des Moines River Project with Mat Swift. Mat is from Columbus, GA where they, five years ago, opened the nation's largest river adventure park and the result has been, in his words, "amazing". What does that have to do with Des Moines? Plenty and Mat says the Iowa capital is even better suited than his home town. You've got to hear this...
Thanks for clicking through...and you can join us on Twitter @IOB_NewsHour
What have we got for you this Friday afternoon? Plenty...and in case you had not heard the markets were pretty much flat today. We'll detail it all coming up. On tap today:
- Former Fed Chair Janet Yellen adds another voice of concern about the economy;
- Boycotting Nike? Uhm...looks like that move hasn't worked;
- Ten companies that have already felt the sting from the tariffs;
- Cord Cutters are seeing increases in streaming services...cheap doesn't last forever;
- What happened on Wall Street and why is just a click ahead!
Those stories and our Friday Funday conversation with Jeff Pitts from Cityview Magazine. Stuff to DO in the Des Moines Metro this weekend and into next week. Check it out.
And, thanks again for finding us...and subscribe for cryin' out loud!
It's the Business News Headlines on your time...each weekday we offer up some interesting business news items on your drive home...or while you're still at the office. Today we're covering these stories:
- Jeff Bezos is in with $2 billion to help young struggling families;
- Too big to fail did fail and who reaped the rewards? We'll lay it all out;
- Say it ain't so! Goodbye to the VW Bug;
- General Electric got smaller today;
- Job cuts from Meredith Publishing
- Target to add 120,000 jobs...from where?
- What happened and why on Wall Street
Today we'll also chat about AARP-Iowa with Brad Anderson and volunteer Don Corrigan you don't want to miss this learning experience.
It's time for HOCKEY in Iowa! Today, for the 6th time that the Iowa Wild open up their season we'll chat with the team president Todd Fredrickson and tell you about the NHL coming to Des Moines next week.
Thanks for clicking through!
It's the Business News Headlines for Tuesday the 12th of September, thanks for clicking through. Today in the business news:
- The biggest lie that will get you booted from a job offer;
- Working too hard? Richard Branson says have more fun and a 3 day work week;
- Speaking of jobs, FedEx and Macy's are hiring but where will they find...people;
- Some McDonald's workers going on strike next week. Why? Sexual Harassment;
- Hear about the drug company that raised the price of a medicine by 400%;
- The new iPhones were introduced today and Apple stock went...down;
- What happened and why on Wall Street.
Those stories plus a conversation with Ned Flynn and Tracy Gonsalez from Aureon about something that can have a major impact on employee retention and recruitment. We're talking workers compensation...and it's important.
Then, you know about The Wave right? Did you know it all started with one Facebook post? With us to talk about that and a special event from the Social Media Club of Des Moines is Jessie Brown. We're talking University of Iowa, The Wave and more...click through!
It's Friday and we've got the top business news stories for you plus a Friday Fun with our friends from Cityview Magazine. Let's go!
- Let's see $200 billion in tariffs to China but ANOTHER $267 billion?? Yep;
- Looks like Younkers may really be coming back;
- Strong jobs report means interest rate hikes;
- The jobs report says pay increased by .4 of a percent but inflation is at what?
- Boycotts: The story says you are getting weary of them;
- So since Nike picked up Colin Kaepernick how have their sales been? We know;
- Papa John's sales still slumping will that mean store closings?
- We've got the numbers from Wall Street as well.
Also today the guys from Cityview Magazine are back with us outlining some Stuff to DO in the Metro this weekend into next week. Parker Reed and Jeff Pitts are right here.
It's the Business News Hour, thanks for coming by! Here are the top business news stories from today as well as two business interviews as we broadcast from the Hotel Grinnell in Grinnell, Iowa:
- More Americans are food insecure now than before the Great Recession;
- While Americans are shopping they are not shopping at JC Penny;
- More bad news for Wells Fargo...hey, it is a day that ends in a "Y";
- We've got a Nike update for you;
- What happened today on Wall Street and why.
Those stories and a conversation about the Iowa Small Business Summit that was held today in Grinnell. Our guests are Tim Baker and Lindsey Starrett,
Then we'll chat with Melissa Vine about her three businesses...no, wait...maybe four. She too wouldn't have it any other way but the divergance in the businesses is amazing.
Each weekday just ahead of 5pm Central we offer up the business news headlines of the day. Today you can check out these stories and later a special conversation as we go Out to Lunch with Kirsten Anderson. But first the news:
- Trade with Canada being fueled by President Trump who made some interesting statements;
- Nike just pulled off a stunning marketing ploy;
- Who needs a Tesla when there are so many other choices...now;
- Notice anything interesting about Chrome? Look again;
- What happened on Wall Street and Why.
Those stories and we'll go Out to Lunch with Kirsten Anderson at Vino 209. First it's "Quick Bites" with three questions and then we'll dive into workplace harrassment and her mission to end it in her lifetime.
Thanks so much for clicking through!
Each weekday at about 5pm Central we offer up the business news headlines. Items you many have seen or perhaps missed. We'll also tell you what happened on Wall Street and why. Today:
- U.S. Canada struggle to complete a "deal" by the deadline today;
- Got a DIY project this weekend? Home Depot and Lowes have deals;
- Ford scraps a vehicle that would have been a niche in the U.S. We'll tell you why;
- The 15 best cities in the nation and guess who is number 15...and then number 1;
- Having a baby soon? We have a suggestion for a name that could score you $11K;
- What happned on Wall Street and why?
Those stories and we'll tell you about FlashDine DSM with my Georgie Libbie (yes, we know her) and today, because it is Friday we've got "Stuff to DO in the Metro" with Jeff Pitts and Parker Reed from Cityview Magazine. Let's get to it!
Each weekday at 5pm Central we offer up the business news headlines along with what happened and why on Wall Street. Today you can learn more about:
- Trump Trade Tariff Talk - Back Again;
- It's Going to Happen - Campbell's Soup to Sell Stuff;
- Law Suit! - Papa John's (You knew this would happen);
- Christmas is 117 Days Away - Who's Counting?
- A Switch, Wells Fargo is Investigating...Wells Fargo;
- Sears Closing More Stores and Sales Rage Today;
- What Happened On Wall Street and Why.
Those stories and we'll talk about becoming a more successful influencer (yes, it can be taught) with Deborah Rinner from Tero International and then it's Marketing for Businsss Episode 26 with Phil K. James of Good Milkshake Digital it's all about Facebook Groups.
Thanks for coming by!
Here are some of the top businss news stories for today along with what happened on Wall Street and why:
- It's a deal! But nobody knows much about it. We're talking trade and the U.S. and Mexico;
- Warren Buffett is taking a steak in a business he's never been in before;
- How would you like a 46% raise in pay? We've got a story about that;
- We've got two car stories for you;
- Kiss property tax dollars goodbye as the Feds will build a new courthouse downtown Des Moines.
Those stories plus a conversation with Beau Fodor from Panache about three upcoming farm to table events and you are invited to each. Always a great interview...Beau Fodor in the news. Then we'll hear from Laura Kinnard from Drake University about some business education opportunities and networking for business. We'v got a packed day...click on through!