The business news headlines on your time...and today was another tough day on Wall Street we'll have those details...first. Also today:
- The oil industry has a junk product and you'll not guess what it is;
- Consumer prices are up...but you knew that;
- When a stock sinks more than 20% from its high we get bears...hello Apple;
- J&J gets some relief from a California lawsuit;
- Child care costs in Iowa are out of control, costing more than housing;
- Markets? Don't ask...
Also we're back with our Out to Lunch series. We'll introduce you to Karl Schaphorst from Sandler Training in our Quick Bites segment and then we'll launch into our conversation as we go Out to Lunch at Gilroy's in West Des Moines.
Thanks for listening!
Each weekday we watch and then report on some of the biggest business news stories impacting your life. Today we'll take a look at:
- The Market Drop and Why;
- Why the Strong Dollar is a Problem;
- Some Say Sears Should Die;
- Stan Lee Dead at 95;
- The Dark Side of the Restaurant Business;
- The Market Report.
Those stories plus a conversation with Congressman Eric Swalwell (D-CA) who was recently in Des Moines, Iowa
Also, it's Monday and we'll visit with Laura Kinnard about business networking and education opportunities in the Greater Des Moines Metro.
Thanks for listening!
It's Friday and we've got the business news headlines and some fun directly ahead. Some of the stories you are just a click away from are:
- If we have to blame somebody...blame oil;
- Meredith Corporation sells Fortune Magazine and why;
- Ford Motor Company in more trouble...think debt;
- General Electric stock...ouch...just two years ago a share was over 32 bucks;
- Another restaurant in Des Moines, Iowa closes...and this one hurts;
- What happened today on Wall Street and why.
Also, because it's Friday Jeff Pitts the Managing Editor of Cityview Magazine joins us for some fun. We'll be talking music, sports, theater and Tiny Tim...no, really.
Thanks for listening!
So much going on today but not to fear...you won't miss out. We've got some of the top business news stories plus a bit of public policy as we sit down with three people running for public office. But, first the news:
- Housing intrest rates climb to 5% and that will have an impact on the housing market;
- Considering retirement? Not until you can answer three questions;
- New news about the Amazon pay raise and it's...mixed;
- Papa John's stock is going up and we'll tell you why;
- Sam and Gabe's closed their doors and the reason may not surprise you;
- What happened today on Wall Street? We'll share.
Also today we sit down with Rob Sand who is seeking the statewide office of Auditor. What does the State Auditor do? Why does it mater? What's the deal with the state budget? What's going on with your tax dollars and for-profit medicaid? We asked and Rob Sand has an answers.
Also today we're going to spend some time in rural Iowa and visit with two Iowa House candidates. First up is David Weaver who is running in House District 47 which is much of Boone County. He's got a great story that we think you'll appreciate. Meet David Weaver:
Then we'll introduce you to Tim Winter who is running for the Iowa House in District 48. It's a huge area made up of part of Webster, Story and Boone Counties and all of Hamilton County. Tim Winter gets lots of windshield time.
Thanks for listening!
Coming to you from Boone, Iowa it's the Business News Hour for Monday the 8th of October. In the news today you'll learn why we're here plus:
- Folks what to know what is in their...food;
- Bond funds are in trouble but there is a silver lining;
- A rising tide lifts all boats...but, what if you don't have a boat;
- More bad news today from Tesla;
- What happened, and why, on Wall Street.
Those stories and more about why we took a road trip today. Also we've got Jay Byers from the Greater Des Moines Partnership in to talk a bit about the upcoming Annual Dinner and the speaker who will join so many on 17 January.
We're also going to visit with Ro Crosbie the founder, president and CEO of Tero International. Her company recently was recognized as The Best Of...by the Des Moines Business Record. What do awards men to the company, staff and (more important) the customers and clients. We'll chat about that and more.
Thanks for coming by!
The Business News Hour is in Lanesboro, MN this afternoon with some friends from Bike World...hey, it's sort of a vacation. But, we didn't forget about you. Today in the business news:
- The markets closed mixed today big issue...Canada;
- The Feds have accused Walmart of discrimination to pregnant women;
- The housing market took a hit today in the markets another sign;
- Apple XS was out today and while the lines were not as long....
- T-Mobile and Sprint are full of promises and cable TV is worried.
Those stories and the markets along with a conversation with Scott and Angie Taylor the owners of Pedal Pusher Cafe here in Lanesboro.
Then our friend Jeff Pitts joins us from Cityview with stuff to DO in the metro. Stay with us...and click through.
Today we're in Lanesboro, MN as the Business News Hour is "On the Road" with a group from Bike World of Iowa. We settled in at Pedal Pushers Cafe and made friends with the owners Scott and Angie Taylor. Here we talk about their decision 14 years ago to get into the restaurant business, the world of being a tourist destination, the future of the tiny community of 800 and more. Always a delight to be "On the Road" and meet the people who make America...America. Enjoy.
The award winning Insight on Business the News Hour with Michael Libbie is the only weekday, hour-long business podcast in the Midwest. The national, regional and local business news along with long-form business interviews can be heard Monday - Friday starting at 5pm Central. You can subscribe on Google Play, PlayerFM, Podbean, iTunes, Stitcher or TuneIn Radio. And you can catch The Business News Hour Week in Review each Sunday at 2pm on News/Talk 1540 KXEL. The Business News Hour is a production of Insight Advertising, Marketing & Communications. You can follow us on Twitter @IoB_NewsHour.
Each weekday just ahead of 5pm Central we offer up the business news headlines of the day. Today you can check out these stories and later a special conversation as we go Out to Lunch with Kirsten Anderson. But first the news:
- Trade with Canada being fueled by President Trump who made some interesting statements;
- Nike just pulled off a stunning marketing ploy;
- Who needs a Tesla when there are so many other choices...now;
- Notice anything interesting about Chrome? Look again;
- What happened on Wall Street and Why.
Those stories and we'll go Out to Lunch with Kirsten Anderson at Vino 209. First it's "Quick Bites" with three questions and then we'll dive into workplace harrassment and her mission to end it in her lifetime.
Thanks so much for clicking through!
Thanks for clicking through for Insight on Business News and Commentary. So much to share with you today:
- Sen. Bernie Sanders shocks Walmart, Amazon and others;
- L.L. Bean doing a good thing by putting their money "out there";
- The most stressed out people live in California but the rest of us are not far behind;
- The State of Iowa hands out a 7.5% raise...no not to people but for profit corporations;
- The Markets shrugged off troubles and climbed.
Those stories and we'll head to Vino 209 which is playing our host for the next month as we take thought leaders "Out to Lunch". You can also click into Friday Fun with Jeff, Parker and Michael as they talk about "Stuff to DO in the Metro".
It's all part of Friday!
Each week we take a thought leader "Out to Lunch" where we talk business, politics and more. Our host for this month is Vino 209 in the Historic Valley Junction of West Des Moines, Iowa. We'll chat it up with owner Kelly Sharp and chef Andrew Phelps about this really unique cafe/wine bar that seems like it's straight out of Europe. Thanks to Kelly, Andrew and the wonderful Abby Rodewald who make our visits fantastic. Come see us, we're there each Tuesday at noon through September.
The award winning Insight on Business the News Hour with Michael Libbie is the only weekday, hour-long business podcast in the Midwest. The national, regional and local business news along with long-form business interviews can be heard Monday - Friday starting at 5:00pm Central and you can subscribe using your favorite podcast platform like: Google Play, PlayerFM, Podbean, iTunes, Stitcher or TuneIn Radio. And you can catch The Business News Hour Week in Review each Sunday at 2pm on News/Talk 1540 KXEL. The Business News Hour is a production of Insight Advertising, Marketing & Communications. You can follow us on Twitter @IoB_NewsHour.