Checking out the business news headlines along with two great business interviews. Here is what we have on tap for you this afternoon:
- Shorter work week? How about a shorter work day?
- Whatcha going to do with that extra time off? How about a movie?
- IBM is being sued - Age Discrimination;
- We told you, budget cut are coming says the White House;
- China and U.S. Trade - What happened today on Wall Street.
Those stories plus we welcome back Laura Kinnard from DMBizMixer and Drake University with networking and business education events this week. Get your event published with #DMBizEvents on Twitter.
Also today, we're talking about the Des Moines River Project with Mat Swift. Mat is from Columbus, GA where they, five years ago, opened the nation's largest river adventure park and the result has been, in his words, "amazing". What does that have to do with Des Moines? Plenty and Mat says the Iowa capital is even better suited than his home town. You've got to hear this...
Thanks for clicking through...and you can join us on Twitter @IOB_NewsHour
What have we got for you this Friday afternoon? Plenty...and in case you had not heard the markets were pretty much flat today. We'll detail it all coming up. On tap today:
- Former Fed Chair Janet Yellen adds another voice of concern about the economy;
- Boycotting Nike? Uhm...looks like that move hasn't worked;
- Ten companies that have already felt the sting from the tariffs;
- Cord Cutters are seeing increases in streaming services...cheap doesn't last forever;
- What happened on Wall Street and why is just a click ahead!
Those stories and our Friday Funday conversation with Jeff Pitts from Cityview Magazine. Stuff to DO in the Des Moines Metro this weekend and into next week. Check it out.
And, thanks again for finding us...and subscribe for cryin' out loud!
It's the Business News Headlines for Tuesday the 12th of September, thanks for clicking through. Today in the business news:
- The biggest lie that will get you booted from a job offer;
- Working too hard? Richard Branson says have more fun and a 3 day work week;
- Speaking of jobs, FedEx and Macy's are hiring but where will they find...people;
- Some McDonald's workers going on strike next week. Why? Sexual Harassment;
- Hear about the drug company that raised the price of a medicine by 400%;
- The new iPhones were introduced today and Apple stock went...down;
- What happened and why on Wall Street.
Those stories plus a conversation with Ned Flynn and Tracy Gonsalez from Aureon about something that can have a major impact on employee retention and recruitment. We're talking workers compensation...and it's important.
Then, you know about The Wave right? Did you know it all started with one Facebook post? With us to talk about that and a special event from the Social Media Club of Des Moines is Jessie Brown. We're talking University of Iowa, The Wave and more...click through!
Each weekday you get the business news headlines on your time. Some of the top business news stories of the day along with what happened...and why...on Wall Street. Today:
- Markets bump up as the tech sector bounces;
- In the "Middle Class"? Pew Research has an online calculator to help you find out;
- Nissen not worried about the trade dispute;
- Apple shows off stuff tomorrow. What to expect;
- What happened on Wall Street and why.
Today we went Out to Lunch with Joshua V. Barr the director of the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission and we talked about something called Bridging the Gap. But before we got into that we asked him three questions. We call it "Quick Bites" how did he do?
Our Out to Lunch segment is designed to expand the story from throught leaders across the Midwest. Today we go Out to Lunch with Joshua V. Barr the executive director of the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission to talk about the community wide event taking place on 17 September between 6pm and 8pm. It's called Bridging the Gap. We talked about it.
The business news headlines for Monday the 10th of September. What's on tap? Click through for:
- The New Tax Law may have you paying more, not less in taxes;
- CBS to pay Moonves up to $120 million if...
- Nike has more to worry about and it comes in the form of Amazon;
- The next mobile technology is 5G who is doing what...we tell;
- Tipping, who tips more, how much is correct and more;
- What happened today and why on Wall Street.
Those stories and we'll also have a remix of a conversation with Melissa Vine who has not one but...four businesses she works at.
And here is a conversation with Angela Harrington about the amazing Hotel Grinnell. What did it take to create a first class hotel out of a school building built in 1921...and in a town of 10,000 people? Have a listen!
And, thank you for clicking through!
It's Friday and we've got the top business news stories for you plus a Friday Fun with our friends from Cityview Magazine. Let's go!
- Let's see $200 billion in tariffs to China but ANOTHER $267 billion?? Yep;
- Looks like Younkers may really be coming back;
- Strong jobs report means interest rate hikes;
- The jobs report says pay increased by .4 of a percent but inflation is at what?
- Boycotts: The story says you are getting weary of them;
- So since Nike picked up Colin Kaepernick how have their sales been? We know;
- Papa John's sales still slumping will that mean store closings?
- We've got the numbers from Wall Street as well.
Also today the guys from Cityview Magazine are back with us outlining some Stuff to DO in the Metro this weekend into next week. Parker Reed and Jeff Pitts are right here.
It's the Business News Hour, thanks for coming by! Here are the top business news stories from today as well as two business interviews as we broadcast from the Hotel Grinnell in Grinnell, Iowa:
- More Americans are food insecure now than before the Great Recession;
- While Americans are shopping they are not shopping at JC Penny;
- More bad news for Wells Fargo...hey, it is a day that ends in a "Y";
- We've got a Nike update for you;
- What happened today on Wall Street and why.
Those stories and a conversation about the Iowa Small Business Summit that was held today in Grinnell. Our guests are Tim Baker and Lindsey Starrett,
Then we'll chat with Melissa Vine about her three businesses...no, wait...maybe four. She too wouldn't have it any other way but the divergance in the businesses is amazing.
Today, in Grinnell, Iowa it was the Iowa Small Business Summit the brain child of CPA firm TL Baker & Co. Here we sit down with Tim Baker and Lindsey Starrett and talk about why they hosted the event, what they hope people took away from the day and more about tax law. Click through and meet Tim and Lindsey:
The award winning Insight on Business the News Hour with Michael Libbie is the only weekday, hour-long business podcast in the Midwest. The national, regional and local business news along with long-form business interviews can be heard Monday - Friday starting at 5pm Central. You can subscribe on Google Play, PlayerFM, Podbean, iTunes, Stitcher or TuneIn Radio. And you can catch The Business News Hour Week in Review each Sunday at 2pm on News/Talk 1540 KXEL. The Business News Hour is a production of Insight Advertising, Marketing & Communications. You can follow us on Twitter @IoB_NewsHour.
Join us for a quick look at the business news headlines from today along with the Wall Street Report. Today:
- U.S. teachers paid 11.1% less than other professions and wages have gone down since 2009;
- The one skill that predicts wealth...we'll share;
- FBI and American Express;
- Tesla stock continues to take a pounding;
- Beer sales down so Miller Coors cuts 350 jobs;
- United Way of Central Iowa and Unions;
- Yesterday it was Nike today it's Levi Strauss taking on a hot button political issue;
- What happened and why on Wall Street.
Those stories and our conversation with Margaret Buckton from Iowa School Finance Information Services a for-profit business working with school districts on budgets, board training and more.
Then it's Marketing for Business - Episode 27 with Phil K. James as we talk about Ichi Bikes and Yankee Doodle Dandy Tattoo..this is interesting...and our guest is Dan Koenig.
Thanks for coming by!
Each weekday at 5pm Central we offer up the business news headlines along with what happened and why on Wall Street. Today you can learn more about:
- Trump Trade Tariff Talk - Back Again;
- It's Going to Happen - Campbell's Soup to Sell Stuff;
- Law Suit! - Papa John's (You knew this would happen);
- Christmas is 117 Days Away - Who's Counting?
- A Switch, Wells Fargo is Investigating...Wells Fargo;
- Sears Closing More Stores and Sales Rage Today;
- What Happened On Wall Street and Why.
Those stories and we'll talk about becoming a more successful influencer (yes, it can be taught) with Deborah Rinner from Tero International and then it's Marketing for Businsss Episode 26 with Phil K. James of Good Milkshake Digital it's all about Facebook Groups.
Thanks for coming by!